Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a painful condition that is caused by compression of the median nerve that runs through your forearm. It is usually exacerbated by repetitive use of your hands and wrists, particularly through activities such as typing, sports, and assembly line work.
By taking a holistic approach to carpal tunnel syndrome treatment, patients can address individual risk factors and eliminate potential aggressors in their CTS.
Helpful Remedies for Carpal Tunnel Pain
- Rest Your Wrist. Taking frequent breaks from physical exertion involving your hands. By doing so, you can reduce swelling and expedite recovery time.
- Wear a Wrist Splint.
- A splint helps stabilize your wrist and minimize pressure on your median nerve. It’s especially useful to wear at night to ensure your hand remains in a neutral position during sleep.
- Use Ice. Cold therapy can help reduce swelling. Ice your wrists for 10 to 15 minutes a few times per day. Make sure not to place ice directly on skin.
Alternative Cures for Carpal Tunnel
Supplements, herbs, and alternative therapies do have a place in carpal tunnel pain relief. Combining different therapies can offer a synergistic effect in reducing CTS symptoms.
A few different natural cures for carpal tunnel pain can include:
- Vitamin B6. A study of patients taking B6 for CTS pain found an extraordinary amount of relief reported after supplementation.
- Acupuncture. Studies on acupuncture show it to be more effective than Prednisolone and offering better relief than ibuprofen for pain management.
- Curcumin. Turmeric has a wealth of studies backing its anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties. Those with CTS may find additional relief by including it in their supplement regimen.
Carpal tunnel may be painful, but there are tried and proven steps you can take today to minimize your pain and enjoy life to the fullest.