Male sexual arousal is a complex process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. Erectile dysfunction can result from a problem with any of these. Likewise, stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
Sometimes a combination of physical and psychological issues causes erectile dysfunction. For instance, a minor physical condition that slows your sexual response might cause anxiety about maintaining an erection. The resulting anxiety can lead to or worsen erectile dysfunction.
Physical causes of erectile dysfunction
In most cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Common causes include:
- Heart disease
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome — a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Certain prescription medications
- Tobacco use
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
The brain plays a key role in triggering the series of physical events that lead to an erection, starting with feelings of sexual excitement. A number of things can interfere with sexual feelings and cause or worsen erectile dysfunction. These include:
- Depression, anxiety or other mental health conditions
- Relationship problems due to stress, poor communication or other concerns
Treatment options at the Blatman Health and Wellness Center
- Alternative treatments for atherosclerosis
- Alternative treatments for high cholesterol
- Alternative treatments for metabolic syndrome that can also be included with conventional diabetic care
Now, there is new treatment for sexual dysfunction that helps men without the use of medications. Have you seen or heard the news reports about athletes getting injections of something called “platelet-rich plasma” from their own blood to regenerate injured joint cartilage, ligaments, and tendons? Well, now this magic healing potion from your own blood that grows new skin under the scab over your cut knee, can be used to regenerate the function of a man’s penis.
That’s right, if your are a man and viagra used to work and now it is less effective, this treatment can make the medication work again. Injection of your platelet-rich plasma can regenerate nerves, and the erectile mechanism that is so important for adult relationships. For more information about the P-Shot, please visit www.p-shotcinci.com and learn more.